Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thinking of Others

I finally found the camera cord, so was gonna share some pics with y'all from our trip. From my kids trying to boogy board in the paddling pool, 3 at a time. I kid you not.   From the Awesomeness that is my Playcentre Family who decided yesterday to do a "Ruthi" (that's me) Dress Up day. *aw schucks*  
But then online I was reminded of the Pike River Memorial that is being held today.

If you don't live in New Zealand, you may not have heard of the tradgey that happened in our wee nation in the last couple of weeks. We have mines here (I don't know how many, nor where they all are), and sadly in a coal mine on the South Island's West Coast there was an explosion that trapped 29 men; some older - men who have mined most of their lives; some who were new to the industry. While those on the surface banded together to rescue their workmates their friends their family, another explosion happened. Then another. And lastly a fire. Or more. I lost track. There is no longer much hope, if any that these men will be returned to their families, so they can mourn and farwell their loved ones.

So here I sit in my home, hanging out as I do in the afternoon while my baby sleeps, my little boys watching tv, my older children at school learning, I surf the web, chat online and read funny stories.  Today though is different. I am tuned into the Live Stream (thanks TV3) of the Memorial in Greymouth to the 29 men who died.  

You may think that 29 men is not that many. They rescued those 33 miners in Chile - we had hope initially as a nation that a similar story would play out here. But sadly it was not to be.  To give you some perspective read more info here about how big the West Coast is, what the population is, I know if I try to tell you, I will get details wrong. I was never a great student of geography. 29 is a big number to lose all at once, from such a community.  From any community.  This event has had a huge impact on our country as a whole, no matter whether you personally knew any of the miners or their families.  Mining is a hard industry, and these are not, not by far, the first to die in the West Coast Mines, but it is still a hard blow to a strong community. I can only imagine how the people there feel. I am blessed that I do not know this type of grief. 


So I am not going to post my usual stories today, I ask that you would take a moment to pray (or whatever it is you do, and to whomever) for these men and their families.  It will be a long road of grieving and to healing for them all.

Conrad John Adams, 43, Greymouth.
Malcolm Campbell, 25, Scotland
Allan John Dixon, 59, Runanga
Zen Wodin Drew, 21, Greymouth 
Christopher Peter Duggan, 31, Greymouth  
Joseph Ray Dunbar, 17, Greymouth 
Daniel Thomas Herk, 36, Runanga.  
Richard Bennett Holling, 41, Blackball 
Jacobus (Koos) Albertus Jonker, 47, South Africa
William John Joynson, 49, Dunollie (Australia)
Riki Steve Keane, 28, Greymouth 
Terry David Kitchin, 41, Runanga
Michael Nolan Hanmer Monk, 23, Greymouth
Stuart Mudge, 31, Runanga
Peter O'Neill, 55, Runanga
Kane Barry Nieper, 33, Greymouth
Milton John Osborne, 54, Ngahere
Brendan John Palmer, 27, Cobden
Benjamin David Rockhouse, 21, Greymouth
Peter James Rodger, 40, Greymouth
Blair David Sims, 28, Greymouth
Joshua Adam Ufer, 25, Australia
Keith Thomas Valli, 62, Winton
Glen Peter Cruse, 35, Cobden
John Leonard Hale, 45, Runanga
David Mark Hoggart, 33, Foxton
Andrew David Hurren, 32, Hokitika
Samuel Peter Mackie, 26, Greymouth
Francis Skiddy Marden, 41, Runanga

There are also funds that have been opened for the families if you wish to donate  see here  

For me though, I'm going now to hug my children and, when he returns from work as he does everyday, a thing that I usually take for granted, I will hug and kiss my husband Captain Awesome Pants.  I am blessed. So blessed. I don't often see these blessings in the hussle and bustle of everyday life.  

Today I can see them a little clearer. Sad that it takes a tradegy to occur before I can see such things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment