Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Food For Thought

This was posted on twitter by someone I follow, @alronberg

well, actually it's his  page  but it's the easiest way for me to share it with you. And I'm sure he won't mind the visitors....

Sorry I can only give you the link. One day I will have the time to learn how to imbed vids....One day.  ;O)

We recieved the kids reports the other day and I was baffled. Even with an extra piece of paper accompanying the report explaining what all the different letters and marks mean, I was confused. I show the Husband. He repeated my sentiments.  It takes a degree to understand a primary school report nowadays. 

I managed to gather enough to understand that none of our older 3 are really sucking at school. They seem to be keeping up. But keeping up with what?  The Reading level or 'Asttle'is described as "the National Mean (average).  The Mean is generated based on what the average New Zealand student achieved in the data collected when Asttle was created." 


Wait. Am I reading that right? The grade is based on what the students were achieving? Not what level they should be at, but what they WERE achieving.  


That can't be right. 


So, my kid, based on this criteria, could be keeping up with the Asttle. But if the average student when they gathered the data wasn't able to read, does that mean my child can't read either? Even though they are meeting the criteria.   I'm hoping to God that I'm missing something here!

The thing that struck me was that we got detailed info on how the kids were doing in reading, writing and maths. Not just their marks but effort and such too.  But for all the artsy things they do, they got a mark based on Effort alone.  How does that really reflect how my child is doing at school?  

They could be trying their poor little heart out and still be behind the grade curve. Putting in Effort for Africa, and yet still failing.  That sucks. 

Anyways.  watch the vid. Be inspired to help our kids find their creativity again.  Think about ways we can help schools to see creativity as important. Failing that, or maybe as well as that, find ways to support your child's creativity - be it dancing anytime all the time; dressing as they want regardless of fashions; allowing them time to complete drawings; or just listening to their crazy stories.  


Children are creative. They come to us that way. We need to cherish it, not crush it.  :OD

No comments:

Post a Comment