Wednesday, July 4, 2012

We Had a Rockin' Night.....

I know this is a little late in the posting, as so many people all over the twitter, facebook and news have talked about it already, but I had to share. 

Plus I'm hanging out here online, hiding from my kids (it's holidays and I'm a slack parent), and housework. Altho, to be fair I have cleaned the bathroom/toilet already this morning, so it's not all that awful round here....

so anyways, last night about 1030pm we had a bit of a shake up. I was out at a MUMS group social night (mid winter christmas dinner) so it was interesting to experience an earthquake with a group of people, haven't done that in a while.  And then yay for technology, we were straight onto twitter and geonet.org.nz to check out details. Too quickly it would seem.

It was a pretty big shake. 7.0 it turns out. But I think I'll let the data speak for itself, check out these links, it's interesting and sums it up better than I can - they're the experts afterall!!

here's a shot I took of the puter screen of the "seismic drums" 




yup. that's the whole country shaking right there.....

And I thought it was bad, until someone (I forget who sorry!) posted this comparison on twitter.  The top graph is the big Christchurch quake from a couple years ago...  the bottom was last night.  *gulp*


I'll sit down & shut up now, it was nothing really. as scary as it was at the time.


And Here is an explanation of the quake and why it felt different. 


There have been other things posted on the geonet.org.nz site in the last 24 hours or so, about how quakes are different. I was worried we would get more "big ones" because it was felt so widely even tho it was so deep. Usually with deep quakes you don't feel the shake so much, especially one centred so far away from us..... but apparently with the REALLY deep quakes it normal to feel them like that.


So you learn something new everyday.


Oh goodie! I wonder what today will bring. I'm hoping it's how to get my internet tv working smoothly ;O)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment